Saturday, March 5, 2011

Being Three


Maclain is SO inquisitive. At times it drives me mad, especially when he asks questions I can't answer. He won't accept, "I don't know," as an answer and often responds with, "Just tell me!"

Here are a few of our recent conversations that were memorable...

Maclain: "Mama, does God glue our hair on?"
Katie: "No, it grows out of your head."
M: "How do we get it off?"
K: "Well, you can cut it to make it shorter."
M: "But Babu doesn't have any hair."
K: "No, his fell out."
M: (a little shocked and scared) "Is my hair going to fall out soon?"
K: "No, that happens to Papas sometimes when they get older."

The other day Maclain walked up to me and said, "Mama, you are my pride and joy." He said he learned that from Cory. Talk about melting a mama's heart! It's those out-of-the-blue, unsolicited comments that really get me! Another comment that melted my heart was when he looked up from coloring and said, "Nana, you look awesome!" He was right...she was all dressed up for her 50th birthday party and really did look awesome, but for a 3-year-old to interrupt his coloring to say that really touched me. I love getting those glimpses of his heart (and God's shining through my sweet little boy). Then I know I must be doing something right.

One last quote that still kills me...Our house rule is that no-one goes downstairs until after 6 AM. Wednesday night, Maclain was up from 12:30-2:30 for no particular reason. I thought we'd all get to sleep in a bit, but at 6 o'clock on the button I heard him hollering at us from his room. "Papa! It's six-zero-zero. Papa! It's six-zero-zero. Cock-a-doodle-doo!" Seriously! You can't make this stuff up!

1 comment:

  1. Those are great - I love what kids come up with. When I couldn't answer any more of Elizabeth's why questions, I'd say, "XYZ, you tell me!" That helped my sanity and made her think about the more obvious ones!

    ReplyDelete